Winds of Change: a response project to current events
Valley Youth House’s Art@LV program, along with VYH Wellness and Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) committees present Winds of Change: a response project to current events to promote community and peace by flooding our communities with pinwheels. Our hope is that this project promotes conversation within our communities.
All are invited to participate in this initiative. Written instructions can be found here or if you are a visual learner, check out this video tutorial made by VYH Art Therapist, Elyse Coldren.
We encourage all who participate to pair this activity with a discussion. Talking points:
- When someone says “There are no others, just other people” or “There is only one race, the human race”…
Many of us feel that being “colorblind” is a safe and appropriate way to approach race. However, when we approach a “we are all the same” perspective we are taking away from each other’s experiences and identities. It’s important to be empathetic and celebrate experiences and also the diversity in our world.
- What if all these pinwheels were the same color?
- What would the difference be?
- How do you think the pinwheels connect to this topic?
- What makes you different/special/unique?
- Where do you think judgements and biases come from? Was there a time you were judgmental or had a bias against someone? Or someone against you?
- What is one way you can support your peers or community to create a more peaceful world?
- What can I do better as your (family member, friend, community)?
Tag #VYHWindsofChange when posting pictures of your pinwheels on social media for a chance to be featured on VYH’s social media accounts. This initiative will conclude on Peace Day, September 21, 2020.
Examples from our Lehigh Valley Shelter: