Statement on GLO Program
On September 17, 2020, a group published a statement on its website that contained false information and claims about the GLO program, Harrisburg’s first community center created specifically to serve LGBTQ+ men of color and trans women of color. Sadly, this statement also specifically targeted a Valley Youth House employee, in an unfounded and personal manner. We believe that the charged and egregious nature of this statement goes well beyond the standards of decency and integrity, and have consulted legal counsel as to whether it constitutes libel and violates other applicable legal standards.
Valley Youth House will vigorously defend our agency and its employees against untruthful allegations. Our number one priority is the safety, protection, and well-being of the young people served by Valley Youth House and our employees. Toward that end, here are the steps we have taken so far:
- Our attorney has issued a Cease & Desist letter to the organization, demanding that they take down the article they have written.
- Our attorney has informed the PA State Police and the Attorney General’s office of inflammatory statements posted by individuals on the organization’s Facebook page.
- We have reported this to Facebook and have asked them to remove the post.
- Our Risk Management Manager is working with the GLO staff to develop a Safety & Security Plan.
- We have hired a security guard to be present at the GLO office during regular office hours.
Valley Youth House stands in support of eliminating gender and racial discrimination, acts of violence, and injustice towards members of the LGBTQ+ community. Valley Youth House will not tolerate any kind of hateful, racist, homophobic, and transphobic attacks. We hold steadfast to our vision of a world in which every young person belongs to a nurturing and inclusive community. Valley Youth House is proud to be a part of the important and valuable work of GLO, together with our partner agencies.
All media inquiries should be directed to Christina Schoemaker, Senior Vice President of Development, Grants & Marketing at 610-820-0166 x1320.
Thank you for your continued dedication to the mission and being valued members of the Valley Youth House community. Please join me in showing our GLO team continued support and solidarity during this difficult time.
Thomas R. Harrington
Executive Director and President
Valley Youth House