Life Skills Counselor – Norristown, PA
Valley Youth House empowers and strengthens the lives of children, youth and families through inclusive programming that builds resilience and fosters growth and independence.
We are currently looking for a qualified applicant to fill the following position: Life Skills Counselor ($33,000 – $35,000)
- Successfully engage youth/clients in developing and implementing their individual goal and/or transition plan using positive youth development, trauma-informed, and culturally appropriate frameworks.
- A minimum of 50% of the working hours will be spent providing quality in-person goal planning, instruction and case management services according to youth’s/clients identified level service.
- Ensure up-to-date paper & electronic client records in compliance with program, county, state and federal regulations and private grant requirements as applicable.
- Facilitate a long term project that is either an ongoing workshop or initiative.
Marginal Functions of Position:
- Meet with the youth/client according to program requirements to model and practice independent living skills with youth/client, including, but not limited to: academic and career planning, permanent relationships/mentoring, housing/household maintenance, priority setting, money management, and health and wellness.
- Represent the program and agency in a professional manner and maintain positive community relationships in a proactive manner.
- Be the primary liaison contact and provide regular ongoing case coordination with community contacts such as referral/funding sources, children and youth agencies, landlords, probation, school personnel, employers, doctor’s offices.
- Participate in on-call rotation as required by the program area. (Maybe N/A for some programs).
- Address and report any crisis or critical incident as defined by agency and/or county, state or federal regulations according to the agency’s formalized practice and protocols.
- Understand and adhere to Valley Youth House policies, practices, and procedures.
- To participate in weekly scheduled supervision with direct supervisor and be prepared with an agenda.
- To attend and actively participate in team meetings.
- To attend both external and internal agency training and workshops and complete and pass all required trainings as set forth in the funder and licensing regulations as required.
- To complete other related tasks as appropriate or assigned.
- The Life Skills Counselor shall be a mature individual with the ability to identify with and adapt to the goals and philosophies of positive youth development in the independent living program.
- The Life Skills Counselor will possess sound judgment and knowledge of adolescent development.
- This individual will be organized and highly adept at managing multiple tasks and assignments.
- Successful team members are creative thinkers and flexible in their approaches to people and projects.
- They will have never have been convicted of any prohibited criminal or child abuse offense.
- They shall possess a minimum of one-year experience working with adolescents and a BS/BA in human services or an equivalent combination of experience in the field and education.
Valley Youth House (VYH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, VYH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the agency has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. VYH expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.