Life Skills Counselor – York, PA
Valley Youth House empowers and strengthens the lives of children, youth and families through inclusive programming that builds resilience and fosters growth and independence.
We are currently looking for a qualified applicant to fill the following position: Life Skills Counselor ($33k-$36k)
The job duties for this position are the following:
- One half of a counselor’s time will be spent providing quality in-person life skills counseling and case management services according to the youth’s identified level of service.
- Successfully engage and maintain youth throughout the service/transition process, fostering an environment of youth-driven planning and scheduling in a positive youth development framework.
- Provide transportation for and facilitation of curriculum and experiential-based life skills groups and enrichment activities.
- Complete in a timely manner, client intakes, needs assessments, plans and other required paperwork consistent with program protocols.
- Be the primary liaison and provide ongoing case coordination with community agencies, children & youth, probation, schools, foster parents, employment and placement agencies.
- Represent the agency and programs in a professional manner and maintain positive community relationships.
- Attend, participate and prepare youth for professional meetings, court hearings and other case planning meetings.
- Respond to crisis situations in a pro-active manner and participate in an on-call rotation.
- Act as a positive role model for youth and proactively address client misconduct from a positive youth development perspective.
- Meet weekly with their supervisor and come prepared to discuss cases, as well as, following all agency policies, procedures, and rules as outlined in the employee manual
This position requires the following from the applicant:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or an equivalent combination of experience in the field and education.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to transport teens/travel within PA.
- Experience working with teens, aged 14-21, either through employment or volunteer work.
- Bilingual/fluent in Spanish (Preferred)
Valley Youth House (VYH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, VYH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the agency has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. VYH expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.