Life Skills Counselor – York Pa
Valley Youth House empowers and strengthens the lives of children, youth and families through inclusive programming that builds resilience and fosters growth and independence.
We are currently looking for a qualified applicant to fill the following position: Life Skills Counselor
Critical Functions of Position:
- To successfully engage and maintain youth throughout the service/transition process, fostering an environment of youth-driven planning and scheduling in a Positive Youth Development framework.
- One half of the counselor’s time will be spent providing quality in-person life skills counseling and case management services according to youth’s identified level of service.
- To provide transportation for and facilitation of curriculum and experiential based life skills groups and enrichment activities.
- To complete, in a timely manner, client intakes, needs assessments, plans, and other required paperwork consistent with program protocols.
Essential Functions of Position:
- To be the primary liaison contact and provide regular ongoing case coordination with community agencies, children and youth agencies, probation, schools, (foster) parents, employment, and placement agencies.
- To represent the program in a professional manner and maintain positive community relationships.
- To assist youth in attaining skills to implement their individual plan for independent living in areas that include housing, employment, education, and life skill goals.
- To attend, prepare youth, and positively participate as a team member in planning meetings.
- To respond to crisis situations in a proactive manner.
- To meet one time per week with his/her supervisor, coming prepared with an agenda.
- To follow the policies, procedures, and rules stated in the agency personnel policies, employee handbook, and program procedure manual.
- To serve as a positive role model for youth and other program/agency staff.
- To proactively address client misconduct from a positive youth development perspective.
- To be an active and prepared participant in all staff meetings.
- To accurately complete all personnel materials in a timely manner.
- To accurately complete all client statistical information in a timely manner.
- To complete other related tasks as appropriate or assigned.
This position requires the following from the applicant:
- The AAI Life Skills Counselor shall be a mature individual with the knowledge of the skills necessary to live independently.
- He/she shall possess the ability to identify with and adapt to the goals and philosophies of Positive Youth Development in the Independent Living Program.
- The AAI Life Skills Counselor shall have sound judgment and act as an appropriate role model to youth. He/she has never been convicted of any child abuse offenses.
- The AAI Life Skills Counselor shall possess a minimum of one year experience working with adolescents and a BA/BS in human services or an equivalent combination of experience in the field and education.
Valley Youth House (VYH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, VYH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the agency has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. VYH expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.