Life Skills Counselor 9007
Valley Youth House empowers and strengthens the lives of children, youth and families through inclusive programming that builds resilience and fosters growth and independence.
We are currently looking for a qualified applicant to fill the following position: Life Skills Counselor ($35k – $42k)
The job duties for this position are the following:
- Successfully engage youth/client in developing and implementing their individual goal and/or transition plan using positive youth development, trauma-informed and culturally appropriate frameworks.
- A minimum of 50% of the working hours will be spent providing quality in-person goal planning, instruction and case management services according to youth’s/clients identified level of service.
- Ensure up-to-date paper & electronic client records in compliance with program, county, state and federal regulations and private grant requirements as applicable.
- Facilitate a long term project that is either an ongoing workshop or initiative.
- Provide support to supervisory team (e.g. manager on duty, facilitating meetings, orient new employees)
This position requires the following from the applicant:
- Meet with the youth/client according to program requirements to model and practice independent living skills with youth/client, including, but not limited to: academic and career planning, permanent relationships/mentoring, housing/household maintenance, priority setting, money management, and health and wellness.
- Represent the program and agency in a professional manner and maintain positive community relationships in a proactive manner.
- Be the primary liaison contact and provide regular ongoing case coordination with community personnel, employers, doctor’s offices.
- Address and report any crisis or critical incident as defined by agency and/or county, state or federal regulations according to the agency’s formalized practice and protocols.
- Under stand and adhere to Valley Youth House policies, practices and procedures.
- participate in weekly scheduled supervision with direct supervisor and be prepared with an agenda.
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings.
- Attend both external and internal agency trainings and workshops and complete and pass all required trainings as set forth in the funder and licensing regulations as required.
- Complete other related tasks as appropriate or assigned.
Valley Youth House (VYH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, VYH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the agency has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. VYH expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.