Life Skills and Housing Instructor
Valley Youth House empowers and strengthens the lives of children, youth and families through inclusive programming that builds resilience and fosters growth and independence.
We are currently looking for a qualified applicant to fill the following position: Life Skills and Housing Instructor ($34,000 – $37,000)
The Life Skills and Housing (LSH) Instructor is responsible for facilitating individual & group LSH workshops. LSH instructor will provide assistance to Coaches in goal planning for youth, and record-keeping as related to assigned tasks. LSH instructor provides individual and/or group life skills counseling, and all aspects of day-to-day program functions, which may include apartment and site monitoring, community relations issues, and liaison related contacts. This also includes generating goal plans with youth/client, tracking their accomplishments and submitting all required county, state and federal documentation. This position includes relationship building with internal & external agencies and companies to provide the youth with experiential learning opportunities. The LSH Instructor is under the authority of the SE Vice President and Program Director and reports directly to the Program Supervisor.
CRITICAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION
1. A minimum of 50% of working time will be spent providing group individual and group instruction housing and develop curriculum relating to day to day living, financial literacy, budgeting, effective communication, development of support systems, self-care and living arrangements and expenses and other topics as needed and address clients as needed and directed using positive development, trauma informed, experiential education, and culturally appropriate frameworks.
2. Recruit, develop, and maintain connections and resources in the community for the implementation of hands-on learning opportunities for youth in LSH service areas.
3. Ensuring up to date paper & electronic client and program record keeping in compliance with program, county, state and federal regulations and private grant requirements as applicable.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION
1. Utilizes quality assurance and improvement strategies to ensure course relevance and maintain positive member outcomes.
2. Lead in the development and implementation of any recognition day or recognition events for youth.
3. Represent the program and agency in a professional manner and proactively maintain positive community relationships.
4. Address and report any crisis or critical incident as defined by agency and or county/state, or federal regulations according to the agency’s formalized practice and protocols.
1. Understand and adhere to Valley Youth House policies, practices and procedures.
2. Participate in weekly scheduled supervision with direct supervisor and be prepared with an agenda.
3. Attend and actively participate in all designated team meetings.
4. Attend both external and internal agency training and workshops and complete and pass all required training as set forth in the funder and licensing regulations as required.
5. Complete other related tasks as appropriate or assigned.
The LSH Instructor shall be a mature individual with the ability to identify with and adapt to the goals and philosophies of positive youth development in the independent living program. The LSH possess sound judgment and knowledge of adolescent development. This individual will be organized and highly adept at managing multiple tasks and assignments. Successful team members are creative thinkers and flexible in their approaches to people and projects. They must have the ability to travel throughout the county or assigned geographic region. They will never have been convicted of any prohibited criminal or child abuse offense. They shall possess a minimum of one-year experience working with adolescents and a BS/BA in education or an equivalent combination of experience in the field and education.
Valley Youth House (VYH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, VYH complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the agency has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. VYH expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.